What Should I Do if my Omaha Home is Flooded?
There are so many questions after your Omaha home is flooded due to a storm. What Should I do now? Who should I call? Follow these steps to assure your taken care of:
- AVOID ADDITIONAL RISKS-Disconnect all the Electronics in your home, these can start fires if left on. Check for any visible structural damage of your home such as warping, loosened or cracked foundation elements, cracks, and holes. Contact utility companies if you suspect damage to water, gas, electric, or sewer lines.
- TAKE PICTURES-Before you remove any water or make repairs, fully document the damage of your home by taking photos or videos. Digital photos are best so they can easily be transferred and shared.
- PROTECT YOUR HEALTH-Even if the water in your home is clear, it could be contaminated by sewage or household chemicals. Wear gloves when removing water-damaged possessions, throw away any food that may have come in contact with the flood water, and boil water until authorities declare the water supply is safe to drink.
- CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY-Call your insurance agent as soon as possible after the flood. Always have their number on hand in your emergency bag. Document the damage, communication, and notify them of any repairs.
- REMOVE WATER/MITIGATE MOLD DAMAGE- Have a Restoration Company like SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest Remove the Water, extraction of water helps with the drying process and will save your home from future problems. Mold can also develop within 24-48 hours after a flood. SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest can mitigate the mold by our cleaning/drying processes.
Call SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest today at 402-408-0134. If your home or business has been affected by water damage our team is here to help! We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, including holidays.