If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (402) 408-0134

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Get the mold outta here after water damage

10/1/2019 (Permalink)

a teal wall covered in mold spores coming from behind a white trim Mold Can Spread Quickly! Let SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest Help!


After your home experiences water damage you are at risk of mold infecting your home! Whether the water damage is the result of a storm surge or a leaky faucet, when water is trapped behind walls or paneling, the elements needed for mold growth will most likely be present. It is best to take action at this time to mitigate the damage and prevent mold growth from occurring. If there is moisture still present--under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity), it takes 24 to 48 hours for mold to germinate and grow. Typically, the spores begin to colonize in 3 to 12 days and become visible in about 18-21 days.

How to Prevent Mold Growth After Water Damage:

It is best to take action at this time to mitigate the damage and prevent mold growth from occurring.  

Dry areas immediately. Try to clean and dry areas subjected to water within 48 hours to help prevent mold growth.

Be aware or warning signs. After cleaning and drying, continue to be sensitive to musty odors in the affected area.

Take look outside. Check the exterior of homes and buildings regularly for accumulating ground water. When the ground is saturated mold can begin to form outside and find its way inside. If water is accumulating against your foundation, take measures to drain the water away from your building. Keeping things dry is the key to preventing mold growth.

Remove damaged materials. If materials are wet and can’t be cleaned or completely dried, remove them from the building and replace them with new materials which may be more mold resistant. Fiber glass doesn’t have the food needed for mold growth but often when insulation gets wet, the water which intruded into the cavity was dirty and brought food along with it. If you have wet insulation, replace it with new mold resistant materials. 

That is why it is important to call on professionals like SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest to make sure your water damaged property is properly taken care of to prevent mold growth from occurring. Call our team today at 402-408-0134!

Other News

View Recent Posts