The Storm Hit, Now What?
There are so many questions after your Omaha, NE home or business is flooded due to a storm. What should I do now? Who should I call? Follow these steps to assure your taken care of:
- AVOID ADDITIONAL RISKS- Disconnect all the electronics in your home, these can start fires if left on. Contact utility companies if you suspect damage to water, gas, electric, or sewer lines.
- TAKE PICTURES- Before you remove any water or make repairs, fully document the damage of your home by taking photos or videos. Digital photos are best so they can easily be transferred and shared.The best approach is take a photo from each corner of the room, so you have overall photos of each room.
- PROTECT YOUR HEALTH- Even if the water in your home is clear, it could be contaminated by sewage or household chemicals. Wear gloves when removing water-damaged possessions, throw away any food that may have come in contact with the flood water.
- CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY-Call your insurance agent as soon as possible after the flood. Always have their number on hand in your emergency bag. Document the damage, communication, and notify them of any repairs.
- REMOVE WATER/MITIGATE MOLD DAMAGE- Have a restoration company like SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest remove the water quickly. Time is sensitive to prevent secondary damage when dealing with water damage. SERPVRO has different specialized equipment that can be used to extract water quickly and effectively. Mold can also develop within 24-48 hours after a flood.
Call SERVPRO of Omaha Southwest and Omaha West/Saunders County to help cleanup your storm damage. 402-408-0134. Our highly trained crews are available 24/7/365. Storms don't wait for regular business hours, and neither do we.