Keep Your Pipes Safe This Winter
With temperatures dropping below freezing almost every night, it’s time to start thinking about how to keep your home or business safe from freezing pipes. Here are some tips that can help you through the winter:
- Insulate exposed water lines in areas that are not heated
- Irrigation systems that are exposed should be taken out or insulated
- Drain any outside faucets or water lines
- Turn off inside drain pipes that lead outside
- Shut off irrigation systems
- Close doors and windows tightly so cold air does not find its way inside
If your pipes do freeze, don’t panic. Before this becomes a major issue, there are a few things you can try so they don’t burst.
- Soak towels with warm water and wrap them around the frozen pipes
- Use a hairdryer on a low setting and apply heat to affected pipes
- Do not apply excessive or overpowering heat to the pipes
There is a chance even if you follow these precautions that your pipes could still freeze and burst. If this happens to you, please consider contacting SERVPRO® of Omaha Southwest for help. We have a team of trained professionals that will be there on the spot to help you in your time of need. Call us at 402-408-0134 for a free quote today.